I was looking to make a healthy version of pineapple upside down cake, a traditional spring treat, so I decided to turn the flavors of pineapple upside down cake into a bread…making it a breakfast item!
This recipe has MORE ingredients than I usually use, but it’s worth it for this spring dish!
2 Jars (2 oz) of Cherry Man Maraschino Cherries
1 Cup Dried pineapple cut into small pieces
1/2 Cup Butter at ROOM Temperature
2 TSP Vanilla
3/4 Cup Almond Milk
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Vanilla Gluten Free Protein Powder
1/3 Cup Ground Flax Seed Meal
1 1/4 TSP Baking Powder
1/2 TSP Salt
1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
1 1/2 Cups Coconut Flour
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls…use the standing mixer bowl for the wet ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Stir then add the Cherry Man Cherries (including juice) and pineapple.
- Spray a loaf pan (or use 12 muffin liners) and transfer dough to pan.
- Bake for about an hour at 350 (30 minutes if muffin size). Check half-way through cooking … and then periodically after that. You can cover with foil half way through cooking to keep the top light in color.
Add coconut flakes
Omit Protein Powder and increase flax seed meal
Use All-purpose gluten free flour in place of almond and coconut flour
Add a 1/2 a 15 oz. can of diced/drained pineapple instead of dried pineapple
Enjoy a slice of this YogaLean bread (or muffin) with fruit and/or Greek Yogurt to start your day!
Find more Gluten Free recipes with variations on my blog HealthyRecipeVariations – Rene’ MacVay.