It’s Summer time, and many people are trying to renew their fitness programs in a hurry. While its important to hit the gym, take up a new running program and make countless other fitness resolutions, there are things you can incorporate into your daily eating regimen that will help you knock off and keep off those extra pounds.
Certain foods slow us down and make us groggy and tired. Sugar, refined carbohydrates, wheat (if you are gluten intolerant) and alcohol all slow our metabolism. So along with your workout program, there are healthy alternative foods and drinks that will boost your metabolism naturally. Get it going NOW with these few, easy tips.
- Eat small frequent meals. Eating every three to four hours, and including a small protein snack, will keep the fires of your metabolism stoked and burning. I like to have an apple and some almonds in between meals or a small bit of protein powder with a half a banana. A bit of a hard cheese and a few carrots are also great snacks.
- Take your meal portions to half. If you eat two or three meals a day consider putting less food on your plate than your normally would. In thirty days you can train your stomach to want less and be satisfied with less.
- Add hot peppers. Cayenne, jalapeños, and serrano fire up your metabolic system. They will also make your food a lot tastier and you will naturally eat less as a result of not overeating to seek taste and pleasure. Enhancing flavor is a great way for you to get the most out of your meal. If your portions are small you want to make sure that you are getting maximum flavor. A small tasty bite is a lot more enjoyable that mounds of food that lacks in taste and palate excitement.
- Drink more more green tea. This hydrating tea is unique in that it has the amino acid Theanine to balance out the caffeine and enhanced mood. Theanine is relaxing and tranquilizing. Drinking green tea throughout the day will keep you happy and energized.
- Add small doses of coffee, caffeine and maca – they all increase metabolism. Be moderate. Overdoing certain stimulants like caffeine laden energy drinks and too much coffee will burn out your adrenal glands.
Mindful eating combined with additional portion control and a few changes in your diet will yield positive results. Make this your best summer yet!