I was looking for a YogaLean meal to refuel after a long walk and an invigorating yoga practice. I decided to go with a high protein and vegetable option that I could prepare in little to no time.
- 1/2 a block of Extra Firm tofu per person
- Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
- 4 “Greens” per person (I used Green Chard but Broccoli Greens, Collard Greens, Beet Greens, or Kale could be substituted)
- 1 Bell Pepper per person (I went with orange as a color contrast to the greens, you could use yellow, or red)
- Toasted Gluten Free Bread as an option to form the top and bottom layer of the tower.
- If you do not have any tofu drained, begin by draining the tofu and placing it in a towel between two plates. Perhaps put a can on top for weight to speed the process. This will ensure you get a firm texture for the Tofu Tower layers. The tofu being firm is key; the tofu is the backbone of this dish.
- While the tofu is draining cut the peppers lengthwise to get long and flat pieces to fit into the sandwich. Each pepper can have up to 4 potential pieces (depends on regularity of shape). Shave the pieces that are not long and flat for use in another dish. Place the flat pieces on a piece of non-stick aluminum foil and bake at 350 or broil and check frequently, do what you have time for.
- When the tofu is drained, cut the block in half lengthwise. Then make thin slices for the towers (3 slices per tower). Portion 2 towers per person eating.
- Sprinkle paprika on the tofu slices and put them in a pan with a few tablespoons of toasted sesame oil.
- Sautee tofu, turning it from time to time so it forms a crust on the two “faces”.
- When the tofu is done, place it on a plate lined with a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- While the tofu cooks, cut the greens. You wish to remove the greens from the more solid stem and center vein. Save those pieces for a stir-fry or pasta. After the tofu is done, add the greens and a few tablespoons of water. Turn off the burner, cover, and steam for 1-3 minutes.
- Uncover and begin to assemble tower.
LAYER 1: Tofu slice on bottom and add hummus to cover
LAYER 2: Slice of Roasted Pepper
LAYER 3: Tofu slice and add hummus to cover
LAYER 4: 2 Green Leaves
LAYER 5: Tofu Slice
Place a toothpick in center to keep tofu tower in place OR toast Gluten Free bread and use a slice of gluten free bread on top and bottom and with the middle tofu layer.
If someone has a large appetite a simple salad, side dish, or Gluten Free Crackers can be served along with the towers.
You can read more Gluten Free recipes at Healthy Recipe Variations